wealhtheow

wealhtheow

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Modern Library Classics)
Thorstein Veblen, Alan Wolfe
Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins Following Katniss's final act of defiance in [b:The Hunger Games|2767052|The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)|Suzanne Collins|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41siRDoeqWL._SL75_.jpg|2792775], the oppressed people of the Districts have begun a revolt. The Capital decides that the best way to solve this is to send Katniss into the 75th annual Hunger Game, as a special "treat" to the viewers.

Another fantastic, gripping adventure story. The revolts themselves feel much more natural and realistic than the majority I've read--Collins does an excellent job and conveying the hunger and cold and hopelessness that drive both apathy and revolution.

What really struck me about this series were the characters. Katniss is best at hunting and killing; she lacks emotional intelligence and eloquence. Her sometime-boyfriend Peeta loves to paint and bake cookies; his first instinct is to negotiate, and he is always kind and generous. A reversal from the usual gender roles, and yet it doesn't come across as forced--the characterizations feel perfectly natural. The background characters are a mixture of races and genders, and no one group is pigeon-holed into a role. There are no stereotypes here: even the stylist team hired to make Katniss look good for her tv appearances have depth.

I'm so glad sf like this is being written.