wealhtheow

wealhtheow

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Modern Library Classics)
Thorstein Veblen, Alan Wolfe
Wren's Quest - Sherwood Smith Orphan Wren is bff with the princess and doing well at the magic school, but she can't help but wonder if she has any family somewhere in the world. She sets out to find them, with Prince Connor at her side. Meanwhile, Princess Tess is having trouble adjusting to court life after growing up in the orphanage.

I actually liked this better than the first book, [b:Wren to the Rescue|193770|Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)|Sherwood Smith|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sEsNoEVzL._SL75_.jpg|187397]. I think Smith trusted herself more, and let the personalities and dialog flow a little more naturally. The tinges of forced characterization are gone. The two plots come together well, without feeling like one was short-changed. And I really liked the development of Connor's skills, and that it doesn't feel like the book is forcing either him or Wren toward any one particular career. Generally someone is completely talented and interested in one subject, and it's obvious that they're meant to become a magician or writer or whatever--but Smith gives her characters a smattering of gifts and a wide range of interests, and they feel more realistic for it.

Definitely an enjoyable adventure--so much so that I extended my workout in order to finish it!