wealhtheow

wealhtheow

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Modern Library Classics)
Thorstein Veblen, Alan Wolfe
Kitty Raises Hell - Carrie Vaughn Kitty Norville, werewolf and radio show host, has just returned from Las Vegas. She just wanted to get married there, but she got a whole lot more than she'd bargained for. The band of weres she defeated in Vegas have sent a nasty curse after her, and it's not just going to hurt her. It's going to hurt everyone she knows.

Kitty calls on all her allies, including the cast of a paranormal investigation reality show. There's some spooky goings-on in here, to the extent that I actually got chills up my spine at one point. Roman's appearance is actually my favorite part of this book. I love that Vaughn sets up a situation in which a maverick comes into town offering help to Kitty, and the Master of Denver tells her to turn him down. And against her instincts, Kitty does turn down the help of the one person who seems to know how to deal with the djinn--and it turns out, the Master was right. Kitty was right to abide by the judgment of someone older and more experienced than her, even though it hurt to do so. It's such a great flip on the usual way this would go down, in which the fiesty paranormal gal and the mysterious maverick would team up and triumph over the cautious old-guard. And meanwhile, the constant trouble Kitty attracts is starting to wear on her pack and her family. Fast-paced, enjoyable, and with great characters.