wealhtheow

wealhtheow

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Modern Library Classics)
Thorstein Veblen, Alan Wolfe
Kith - Holly Black, Ted Naifeh Rue wrestles with her newfound identity as a half-fairy, while trying to keep her friends safe from the fairy world's depredations. There's a plan to transform the human city into the fairies' playground, and only Rue has the power to see it--and possibly to stop it.

I have two problems with this. First, it's far too short. The relationships between characters aren't fleshed out, and their motivations are too mysterious and complicated for such a slim volume. Secondly, the art is great--except that I can't tell the characters apart. Everything is heavily shadowed. They look different in every panel, and most of them have one of two haircuts (angled&tangled bob or shaven with long bits in front), so I can't even tell who is who based on hair. Frustrating!

That aside, the gothy art really does fit Black's mixture of realistic urban youth and fairies. And the fairies and wonderfully scary and creepy, with just enough beauty thrown in to make them truly dangerous.