wealhtheow

wealhtheow

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Modern Library Classics)
Thorstein Veblen, Alan Wolfe
Throne of the Crescent Moon - Saladin Ahmed Doctor Adoulla Makhslood is the last ghul hunter in Dhamsawaat. Constantly battling mystical monsters for little material award, his only assistant is the pious dervish Raseed bas Raseed. Although Adoulla is magically powerful and Raseed is prodigiously quick and strong, they nearly die fighting an unusually large group of ghuls. Luckily, a lion shifter enters the fray and saves their lives. The lion-girl Zamia (a Badawi whose entire clan was killed by ghuls) and Raseed find themselves drawn to each other despite their vows to dedicate themselves to fighting evil. All their skills are not enough, however, and so alkhemist Lady Litaz and her magician husband Dawoud are called in to help. And complicating matters is the Falcon Prince, Pharaad Az Hammaz, who steals from the rich to give to the poor and who may prove to be any ally or a deadly enemy.

It's all written in a very clunky, amauterish style. Despite the demons and thief-kings and unresolved sexual tension, I was so bored I almost couldn't get through it. Ahmed's short stories are wonderful; I'm not sure why he wrote a book so charmless.