wealhtheow

wealhtheow

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Modern Library Classics)
Thorstein Veblen, Alan Wolfe
Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy (Riverside Series) - Ellen Datlow, Caitlín R. Kiernan, Ellen Kushner, Pat Cadigan, Jeffrey Ford, Nathan Ballingrud, Elizabeth Bear, Kit Reed, Peter S. Beagle, Richard Bowes, Lavie Tidhar, Melissa Marr, Matthew Kressel, John Crowley, Lucius Shepard, Delia Sherman, Patricia Briggs, Holly Black, A mixed bag of urban fantasy stories, not all of which are actually fantasy, and not all of which are really all that urban. A number are magical realism, and if I liked that genre better (or at all) I would have enjoyed this collection better. My favorite stories were Delia Sherman's "How the Pooka came to New York City", Patricia Briggs's "Fairy Gifts", and Peter S Beagle's "Underbridge." Each of them provide a good deal of characterization in a short amount of space amid an interesting plot. My very favorite was Ellen Kushner's "The Duke of Riverside" because I am desperate for any little scrap of Riverside I can get. Kushner is so good at writing characters that every time I read about Alec and Richard I feel like I'm hearing about an old friend I haven't seen in a long time, but know well. They feel very real.