wealhtheow

wealhtheow

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Modern Library Classics)
Thorstein Veblen, Alan Wolfe
Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics - Bell Hooks hooks has written a short, very readable selection of essays on a variety of topics, from sexuality to domestic violence to intersectionality. This could be used as an intermediate introduction to feminism--maybe what you give someone after they've already ingested the basic facts of current inequalities. [b:Feminism is for Everybody|168484|Feminism is for Everybody Passionate Politics|Bell Hooks|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327933698s/168484.jpg|843092] doesn't make the case for feminism's existence, but rather is a slightly disjointed history of feminism from the 1960s through the 90s and a basic primer on what hooks envisions feminism needs to challenge and produce. We need to document how feminism has helped women, especially older women who have stories about illegal abortions and what society was truly like before feminists started talking about and pushing for gender equality. We need to make sure the movement does not just focus on one gender (include how to raise boys as well as feminist girls, how men can be masculine but not patriarchal, examine and challenge problems men have within patriarchy), sexuality, class, race. (And not let mass media present well-educated attractive white straight women as the only members of feminism, or the spokespeople!)

Overall, feminists need to work to create a mass-based movement that includes visions and models of what non-patriarchal relationships, norms and society look like. We need to communicate those ideas outside of people we already think agree with us, or are like us. Or, in her own words: "While visionary feminist thinkers have understood our need for a broad-based feminist movement, one that addresses the needs of girls and boys, women and men, across class, we have not produced a body of visionary feminist theory written in accessible language or shared through oral communication. Today in academic circles much of the most celebrated feminist theory is written in sophisticated jargon that only the well-educated can read. Most people in our society do not have a basic understanding of feminism; they cannot acquire that understanding from a wealth of diverse material, grade school-level primers, and so on, because this material does not exist. We must create it if we are to rebuild feminist movement that is truly for everyone."